Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I'm really not a slacker!!

Uh huh, I know.... I'm a slacker... But only when it comes to blogging!! I really have been busy.. I promise!! We had a wonderful Halloween... I guess, it was raining.. And we only went to family and close friends' homes, but we had a back seat full of candy.. Dawson had a ball and that is all that matters..
David and I have friends (that are a lot older than us) that come from Pennsylvania every six months or so. They stay right down the road from us in a cabin like home.. The last time that they were here they invited us for supper. Mrs. Jo is an awesome cook.. And she believes in making everything from scratch... Only homemade will do for her!! Being from Pennsylvania, she even makes her own cream cheese...... I mean come on, who makes their own cream cheese and how do you make it anyway... Cause I love it!!!
When she and Mr. Jerry invited us for supper she made cabbage rolls, a recipe favorite of her mom's when they lived in Yugoslavia. I'm thinking to myself, cabbage rolls??? Yuck?? David loves cabbage, so I agreed. Well , I was for sure in for a nice surprise..That was the first time that I'd eaten cabbage and really liked it... I tried to hurt myself.. And so did David and Dawson. They were delicious!!! With this thin red sauce that she cooked them in all day... mmmm.... So I asked her to give me the recipe... She told me that it wouldn't do me any good just to have the recipe. She said that she wanted to show me the right way to make them... So we agreed that the next time she was home she would show me....
So Monday night I took D to trick or treat Mr. Jerry and Mrs. Jo.. Before I left, they told me that Mrs. Jo had gone to the grocery store and got all of the ingredients to make the "polish pigeons" as Mr. Jerry calls them. We would make them on Tuesday.. Cool... I'm ready...
So I go and pick her up yesterday and she has all of the ingredients in a sack and shows me how to stuff them and roll them up.... Some people use toothpicks..... Not Mrs. Jo.....She showed me how to roll them up and tuck the ends so that the meat didn't fall out while they were cooking.... We had such a great time, cooking and visiting.. She cracks me up, she is a cat.... I would give anything to see her as my age.. I bet she was something else!!! She reminds me of my grandmother that has Altzeimers...
David got off early yesterday, finally he's finished with this years crops... Yay!!! When he come in Mrs. Jo told me how long to let the pigeons cook and said she was going to let David take her home.... I'm like" what??? Your coming back right???" She said "no, I'm going home to cook for Jerry's brother".. I said "you just come down here and stayed all day showing me how to make these things and your not even coming back to eat???" She said " I wanted to come and show you how to make them so that you can cook them for your husband and the baby". "I bought all of the ingredients because I wanted you to know what I use.. I did this for you and David and were not staying to eat...." I was so upset... I just knew they were gonna eat with us..
So now I want to do something for her... I don't know what... I got her a card.. But I don't feel like that's enough... Anyone have any suggestions??
I hope everyone is having a great week!! We are doing great!! The weather is beautiful!! So see, now you know that I'm not a slacker in all things!! Just blogging!! LOL And that's okay! Also, lately their's been a lot of attitude adjusting having to be done around here... You know that takes a lot out of a girl!!
posted by Cara @ 10:30 AM |

6 comments

<< Home


/body>